Wednesday, March 7, 2007



((Me Myself and I))
By Eve Merriam


Isn't it strange
that however I change
I still keep on being me?


Though my clothes get worn out,
Though my toys are outgrown,
I never grow out of me.

Though I may taste a mango,
Or dance a fandango,
It's still my tongue and my feet.

Though I greet a plumber or tailor,
A sailor, a doctor, a parakeet-
Whomever I meet,
They meet me.

No matter what faces I make,
Though I wriggle or wiggle or shake;
Though I've learned subtraction
and adding a sum:
I never can take away me,
And nobody else I become.

Is it good? Is it bad?
Is it funny or sad?

It's certainly queer,
That wherever I go,
Whenever I get there,
It's here.

And the I who went there,
Who flew in the air, or had a great scare
and met up with a bear,
Or nibbled a pear and sat still in a chair-
Still stays in the skin of me.


Some things get stuck out of sight on a shelf,
But never myself.

If I say "yes", or If I say "no";
If I go fast, or If I go slow;
When I'm at work, or when I'm at play:
Me I stay.


I may lose many things and
Frequently do.
I never lose me.
Does that happen to you?